Friday, May 8, 2009

sweet pea gazpacho



I had dinner party on Sunday night for a friend's birthday and I made the best gazpacho! I was dying for a chilled gazpacho but of course, tomatoes aren't in season. I thought what about a sweet pea gazpacho! Inspired by my chef friend, Bruce Hill, I wrote this recipe. And let me tell you.... I have guts. One of my guests was a Spanish friend, Emmanuel Kemiji, also a great winemaker, and he LOVED it!










SWEET PEA GAZPACHO

1 pound shelled sweet English peas, blanched 10 seconds
3 small slices stale bread, soaked in 1 cup cold water
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 pound sugar snap peas, blanched 1 minute
1/2 English cucumber, peeled and seeded
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling

Reserve 1/4 cup of the peas as a garnish
Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss together. Place in the blender and process until smooth as silk, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.

To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a few peas and a drizzle of olive oil

Serves 6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love gazpacho.
this is a very unique way
of making it!