Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Family at Copita




 
It’s been a year since opening my first restaurant, Copita Tequileria y Comida.  We opened the doors May 1st 2012, and can I tell you that since the first minute, our tables have been full from lunch through dinner!  Having a restaurant is incredible - seriously beyond what I could have ever imagined.  Initially, I lived at Copita working 12 and 14 hour days.  The team and I worked feverishly to make sure every dish was what we had envisioned and that service was smooth.  Now, we truly have the “dream team”  but believe me, it’s taken time.   

Meet Chef Gonzalo Rivera
Copita is humming along with General Manager Brian Basmajian (have you met him yet?  He’s very funny) making guests feel at home,  and the fabulous Executive Chef, Gonzalo Rivera, who recently brought his wonderfully creative talent to the kitchen.  I still go to the restaurant every day I’m in town, to dream up dishes with Gonzalo and, of course, to taste everything!   It’s a true collaboration. 

And our margaritas?  Many people say they are the best in the Bay Area.  Have you met our bartender Juan Carlos?  You can’t miss him.  He’s the tall bald guy that mixes a mean margarita.  If you haven’t tried the Prado, I recommend that as well. It’s from my tequila book.  If you don’t see it on the menu, just ask, the bartenders will make it for you in a heartbeat.
 


As for the trials and tribulations of opening a restaurant, I can tell you one thing:  everything you’ve heard about how difficult it is, it’s true!   But the rewards are beyond description.  If you have ever worked in a restaurant, you’ll understand how quickly your co-workers become your new family.   Let’s just say that every minute, it’s something new and something that has to be dealt with...immediately.  If it’s not one thing, it’s another.   But every day we get closer and closer to that well-oiled machine.   

Like most families, we’ve collected more than our share of stories to tell.  My favorite is the time one of the cooks added limeade to the ceviche instead of lime juice.  It was served to a chef friend of mine.  I went out to the table to say hi and saw the ceviche bubbling up?  When I tasted it, I knew exactly what had happened.  Yes, it was still edible.  Did it taste good?  Let’s put it this way, you won’t ever find it on the menu at Copita. 

Want more inside scoop?  Read about us here:



Brentwood Corn Elote with Chipotle Crema
   

Pork Belly Taco

Read more here: 

2 comments:

Tina@Travel Visa Australia said...

Congratulations! On your first year anniversary.. That Pork Belly Taco looks really good..

Joanne Weir said...

Thanks Tina, Hope you can make it to Copita soon!