Friday, March 20, 2009

first day of spring...



Headed out the door last night to the McEvoy launch party for my "Wine Country Cooking" book at the Ferry Terminal. McEvoy just does it right. They make the best olive oil and last night it was used to make delicious food from my book! Fun party with lots of people who wanted their books signed. After the last book was closed, I ran out the door. Gary Danko picked me up out front to go to Berkeley to the Parsi New Year (Indian New Year) dinner at Chez Panisse. We had a 9:00 reservation and we just made it! We started with a lovely plate of Bombay potato balls, fried curry leaves, and steamed semolina bread with avocado chutney. I am still dreaming of the chutney that Niloufer Ichaporia King, author of "My Bombay Kitchen," chef for the night, made. Alice came running over, elated! "The kitchen garden on the White House lawn..." was all she could say! Alice was beaming. She's been talking about this since Bill Clinton was in office. Anyway today, the first day of spring, all over the news, there it was, Michelle Obama and 26 5th grade students broke ground on an organic garden being planted on the White House lawn. Now that's ground breaking! And a great start to a fabulous spring!

1 comment:

Amy Sherman said...

Wow! What a night! I've always wanted to celebrate Persian New Year. Now I have to add Parsi New Year to the list too.