Tuesday, July 28, 2009

whatamelon punch recipe... be careful!

It's only Tuesday and I'm already talking cocktails. I can't help it, I may very well have discovered this summer's house cocktail this past weekend during my tequila cooking class.

Award-winning bartender, owner of Elixir, tequila pal extraordinaire, H Ehrmann, came to shake up some cocktails with my students in my kitchen on Sunday. H is knowledgeable, passionate and one hell of a bartender. Whatamelon Punch comes with serious warnings. You'd never know there's lots of blanco tequila in it. Muddled with sweet fresh watermelon and a splash of St Germain Elderflower, my, my, my! My fiance is an attorney so may this be your warning! I am not liable.

Sunny, warm, very un-San Francisco kind of summer day. I had no problem downing three in one sitting. Dangerously delicious! Go for it!

WHATMELON PUNCH

To "slap" the mint, place the sprig on one palm and slap with the other hand to give a burst of mint flavor and aroma.

5 to 6 1-inch watermelon cubes
6 mint leaves
1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila (we used PARTIDA!)
1 ounce St. Germain Elderflower liqueur
1/2 ounce agave nectar
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
Mint sprigs as a garnish

Place the watermelon cubes and 5 of the mint leaves in a mixing glass and muddle for 5 to 10 seconds. Add the tequila, St. Germain, agave nectar and lime juice. Fill with plenty of ice and shake for 10 seconds. Strain over fresh ice into a highball glass. Garnish with a slapped piece of mint.

Makes one drink

1 comment:

Steve said...

Joanne - I have sworn off tequila now for years (an ugly story, I assure you), but this recipe, along with your Cherry Margarita recipe may compel me to get back in the game. No worries, I won't hold you liable for any questionable conduct as a result of my jumping off the wagon. - Cheers.