Wednesday, April 8, 2009

100 miles north of san francisco


Years ago, I remember driving to Mendocino through Anderson Valley eating a picnic at Navarro and visiting the tasting "shed" at Husch. It was so undeveloped, kind of like Napa might have been 50 or 60 years ago. Yesterday at the "Taste of Mendocino" at the Golden Gate Club at the Presidio, for the first half hour, I have to admit, I was kind of uncomfortable. It was a sea of wines, many unfamiliar to me and I whispered to Mariangela, my business manager, "Hey, we don't have to stay long." Four hours later, I had tasted some of the best wines from some of the most passionate, dedicated and talented winemakers. I could have downed a whole glass of the Goldeneye Anderson Valley 2006 Pinot Noir ($55.00) . Also loved McDowell's 2005 Coro Mendocino ($35.00) . Meyer 2004 Mendocino County Syrah, MacPhail 2007 Frattey Shams Pinot Noir ($60.00 ouch), Londer 2006 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir ($35.00) and one of the best deals of the day, the McNab Ridge 2006 Petite Sirah ($18.00) . That event was big on the learning curve and a big "AH-HA" for me.


1 comment:

Amy Sherman said...

I'm so sorry I missed this! I rsvp'd but the day got away from me. Glad to hear it was a success.